Humidity Levels & Viruses
A recent study sponsored and authored by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) discovered that maintaining humidity levels above 40%RH reduces the activity of the flu virus significantly.
Scientists used a mannequin and a pump to simulate a cough containing the flu virus. Samples were then collected for 60 minutes to determine the infectivity of the virus. At low levels of relative humidity (<23%) the virus retained over 70% infectivity. However, when the humidity was raised to 43% the virus retained only 15 – 22% of its infectivity.
Share This Post
- Achieving Efficiency in Indoor Pool Environment: The Crucial Relationship Between Pool and Space Temperature in HVAC Systems
- Parking Garage Gas Detection Cheat Sheet
- The Benefits of Destratification in Warehouses – Maximizing Efficiency and Comfort
- Defrost Strategies for Energy Recovery Technologies
- Inslab Ventilation Ducting in High Rise Buildings