Founded in Montreal in 1979, Adonis is a food retailer specializing in Mediterranean products. While Adonis supermarkets have typical grocery aisles, they also deliver freshly-cooked hot and grilled food, served up in an expansive kitchen. Working with McGreger Allsop Engineering, O’Dell recommended a kitchen ventilation solution for Adonis’s new flagship store in Mississauga that responds to the variable demands of their operations. Additional benefits included enhanced energy efficiency and comfort.
- Fully integrated Demand Control Kitchen Ventilation (DCKV) serving three kitchens
- Six Type 1 Dynaflow high-efficiency hoods
- Two Type 2 Condensate hoods
- Four PennBarry roof exhaust fans
- ULC Zoneflow exhaust dampers (manual) on each hood
- ULC Zoneflow supply dampers (modulating) to control airflow to each kitchen on demand
- Valent VPR 310 Make-up Air (MUA) Unit
- Direct-drive plenum supply fans with VFD
- Indirect fired heat with 10:1 turndown ratio
- 25-ton integrated DX cooling
- Digital scroll lead compressors
- Active head pressure control
- Standalone control with BAS monitoring of temperatures and status
- Integral web page user interface (standard in all Valent units)
This successful project delivered on efficiency by providing separate controls for each kitchen, allowing systems to remain off when not in use. With a single MUA, the TruFlow panel managed the outdoor air delivered to each space with modulating supply dampers. A control signal to the Valent MUA modulated supply air volume to optimize energy reduction. With gas heat and integral cooling, the Valent MUA delivered conditioned air to each space for comfort. Check out the control diagram for more details.